Tuesday, September 19, 2006

86 Studio 60

Studio 60 is supposed to be the greatest show of the season. Says who? The bought and paid for TV critics are acclaiming Studio 60 as the next great thing in television.

The show opened with a diatribe about conservative religious groups preventing television from producing art. Art was the most important factor on producer's mind. If I can remember anything about the speech, little was said about what the audience wants. We the audience must want art, and yes we do. However, we also want our values respected.

They argue that this is simply a First Amendment issue. However, it goes further than that. It comes down to the fact that the audience doesn't matter anymore. And that is why more and more people are turning off the television.

To try to add credibility to the show, Harriet Hayes (Sarah Paulson) is a religious Christian, but she doesn't seem to represent the values of most Christians. She would have loved to be in the bit titled "Crazy Christians" that was expected to offend many from the Christian community. She wanted to be in the bit because it was the best writing she had seen in years.

Paulson's character is just complete evidence that they don't understand the Christian viewing audience. They think that to a real artist, the art comes first. However, if Harriet Hayes had truly "accepted Jesus Christ as her Savior," (her words from the show) then I think that she would have stepped up for the right thing.

The effort has been extensive to put together a great cast (like Matt Perry and Bradley Whitford) with some excellent cameos (Ed Asner and Judd Hirsch). And that will definitely draw a lot of viewers. It will especially draw the attention of the bought and paid for critics which will in turn draw more viewers.

This is also a show starring egomaniacs about a show full of egomaniacs. Nobody needs to act, because they will just be playing themselves. To entertain me, show me someone who can be something other than himself, not a bunch of actors playing themselves.

This show doesn't do it for me. Sure the acting is good, the directing is top notch, and the writing keeps up. However, the agenda is too obvious and the direction is too profane for my tastes.

Studio 60 will last for at least a couple of years on the air. It will have a big enough following to keep it going. However, it will be the biggest attack on American Values that we have seen in a long time. Because the media's rights will be portrayed as more important than your rights.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:16:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched it last night and as a christian was offended and then disgusted and finally sympathetic.
I was offended because of the obvious mis-labeling of christianity in general. I was disgusted because once again we see that political correctness is a joke. Tell me the last primetime TV show were you heard the phrase Crazy Muslims. And finally I was sympathetic because at the end of the day the people who write these types of shows are missing out on knowing and understanding the "love of God" found in Jesus.

 
At Tuesday, September 19, 2006 7:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi -- What specifically upset you in terms of the show's portrayal of the Christian character? That she had dated a non-Christian boyfriend? That she said the word "ass" -- I think she said that. I'm just curious.

Thanks.

 
At Wednesday, September 20, 2006 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this show... as with most pilots, the first episode only sets up the rest of the direction for the series, so really, it remains to be seen how it really is. I did like the writing though. Similar fast-pace to West Wing - one of my all-time favorite shows on TV...

For me, the jury's still out!

 
At Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:12:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would't say Matthew Perry was playing himself, because I don't know who himself is. He was certainly a lot different than Chandler on friends. He showed a lot of range. His performance was great.

I think the point of Harriet wanting to be in the Christian sketch is that she believes in letting the audience decide for itself what's funny, not let the network, advertisers, censors, etc., dictate it.

 
At Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:04:00 PM, Blogger Natalie Gordon said...

I liked it - but I am an Aaron Sorkin fan. It was not as good as Sports Night or the first few years of The West Wing, but it definitely has potential.

That said - do I think Aaron Sorkin has an agenda? Yes. But I also think you have an agenda. So, if I don't agree, or if I am offended, I get to choose to turn off the TV or not read your blog. Right now, I am choosing to watch the show and read your blog. And I think the point wasn't about the media's rights being more important than the viewers rights -I think the point was that if tv/media/society keeps pandering to the lowest common denominator, all we get is low-brow trash, which, in my opinion, is most of tv. I want to see smartly written, well acted, well directed shows on television. Shows without a crime scene, courtroom, psychiatrist/life coach, wife-swap, nanny, hospital or police precinct.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home