Thursday, October 12, 2006

Jin and Sun Keep Me Interested in Lost

The only reason that I even turned Lost on three years ago was the hopes of hearing a little Korean. Having lived in Korea and studied Korean for two years, I always love anything Korean. The only reason you will ever see me watching a M*A*S*H rerun is because I hope to hear some Korean.

That said I have to say that I have really come to love both of the Koreans on Lost. Jin-soo Kwon (Daniel Dae Kim) and Sun Kwon (Yunjin Kim) have really become my favorite characters on the show.

Some might think that my love for them has to do with their Korean roots. And honestly, that does help a lot. However, that is not my main reason for enjoying these two characters.

My main reason for loving them is that they are still married.

They have been through a lot. They have defied an overprotective father (perhaps that is too gentle a description). They survived infidelity (that might be because Jin doesn't know about it yet). They put up with some very tough lows, and they are still married.

Most of the time television portrays marriage as impossible. Excluding comedies, try and think of one main character who is married and it appears that marriage will be a success. Accept for Jin and Sun, I can't think of one. Well, there is Johnston and Gail Green from Jericho, but that show is in its first season, so give it some time.

This episode truly revealed that Jin and Sun are in it for the long haul. They have been through worse than this island can throw at them, and they will survive.

It seems that just about when I am ready to give up on Lost, they bring Jin and Sun together and I am renewed in my hope for the show. Perhaps if the island can heal physical problems, maybe it can heal emotional problems too.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home