Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Preview: The Great American Dream Vote

Is Donny Osmond ready from prime time again? While he has done television, broadway, and other media productions. This is the first time in 20 plus years that Osmond will be starring in a prime time television show.

I was actually quite impressed at how well Osmond did on Pyramid. He was very well spoken, funny (though someone cliché), and rather enjoyable to watch.

As the Great American Dream Vote is more like a game show than a talk show, I would guess that Osmond will do well in this role. I am sure that he will bring is very natural charm to the screen and help the contestants and audience (both studio and broadcast audiences) feel at home.

However, I am not sure that this show will work. We often hear about the great American dream. As I was growing up I was always taught that this dream was home ownership. And I still think that it is.

However, we are dreaming bigger now. And this show is hoping to capitalize from our dreams.

Contestants in this show will tell America what their dream is. This can be anything from building a dance studio in your basement to starting up your own private business. The key is to convince America that your dream is better than the other contestants.

First, the studio audience will reduce the vote down to the two best contestants. Then America will decide who should have their dream fulfilled.


I often speak of celebrating the stories of ordinary people. This show starts with that premise and so there is a part of me that thinks it could be a great success. However, past experiments (like Three Wishes) with helping people fulfill their dreams have proven to be unsuccessful television shows.

While they often provide people with a great feeling about society and caring for others, these shows just aren't as entertaining as one would hope they would be.

Also, I feel that the competition part of the show will have its problems. How am I going to choose between one person's dreams and another’s? Sure some choices would be obvious, like voting for someone who wants fame and fortune versus someone who needs a home with wheelchair access for their disable child. But how do you choose between the wheelchair and the infertile couple? Or how do you choose between a pasture who wants to improve his church and a homeless shelter that needs more room?

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if this show does well. It could be like chicken soup for the television soul. But I don't hold out much hope.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:50:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I know its the American Dream to own a home and while it will difficult to choose one worthy dream over the other, it will be interesting to see how America really accepts this program. I believe Donny Osmond is a talented individual, full of life and fairness and his charm will win the audience over. Whether that's enough or not remains to be seen. But I hope people will give Donny and the show a chance because I thought Donny handled the impromptu very well and the contestants were rather amusing. Clean, honest fun for all to enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home