Thursday, April 19, 2007

Jericho Gets Nuked

As Jericho is one of my personal favorite new shows this year, I am upset to report that I won't be watching any more. I have said in the past there is one thing that will make me stop watching a show. I have been accused of being a prude and of not understanding real life because of it too.

Last weeks episode had an allusion to the fact that Bonnie (Shoshannah Stern) had spent the night with her boyfriend at her house while Stanley (Bradley Beyer) was in New Bern. I started to question if I should even bother watching the show then. However, I couldn't determine if Bonnie was a teenager or not. While I had alway thought she wast, I didn't want to give up on the show just then.

According to Stern's IMBD bio, she is 26 years old. However, it isn't uncommon for television to have actors portray people younger (or older) than they really are. So, I decided to reserve judgment. Honestly, I was hoping that they would just drop the issue and let me watch in peace.

However, they continued the story this week, and during a conversation between Stanley and Mimi (Alicia Coppola), Bonnie's age is hinted to. She is referred to as a teenager, and it was specified that she was having sex with her boyfriend.

I struggled at that point. I love this show. While my interest in Jericho is starting to wane, I don't want to stop watching yet. I even contemplated not writing about it today and just letting the incident slide hoping that no one would notice my hypocrisy.

However, I can't do that. If I give in on one show, then I lose and those who are determined to normalize teen sex win. So, I am done with Jericho.

Before some of you start arguing that I don't know anything about teenagers, I want to point out, that yes I know teens are having sex. I also understand that sex is very much on most teenagers' minds. However, it isn't something that they should take casually, and too many television shows are treating this as a casual act.

I am also hopeful that there is still a large number of teens who are choosing to abstain. I am still waiting for a show that emphasizes that choice, and not as some fanatically religious reason for their choice. I am fine with religion being a part of the choice. I am just afraid that the media will make it some religious fanatical reason for the decision.

I predict that Jericho will lose a lot of viewers over the rest of this season, and I further predict that fewer will return for the next season. I am sure I am not the only person who feels this way. We need to have more viewers be more discerning about the shows they choose to watch. As for me, I am done with one of my favorite shows this year.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home